Sunday, March 13, 2011

Winter Wonderland


I recently had a friend, Kenyon, come for a visit from out of town. He hasn't had much experience with snow and was completely excited to see what Winter Adventures awaited him here. The "big event" that I had planned was a snowmobile trip. We went with several of my friends...in fact there were 9 of us in all each with our own "sleds" as the experts call them. We started out at the Montage Resort at the top of Deer Valley, then we rode across the mountains into Midway and Heber where we stopped for lunch, then headed back. It was one of the most fun things I've done in quite a long time. Not that I'm keeping score or anything...but I was the only one in the group who didn't get stuck all day long! I don't know if that made me good or just more cautious than the rest of the riders!

The next morning we drove down to Zion's National Park. I've been to this beautiful park several times, but never during the winter and it was just gorgeous...although they happened to be having one of the biggest snowstorms in recent history. Most of the hikes that I am familiar with were too wet and muddy to go on, however we did the paved trail at the Temple of Sinawava. It was covered in about 3 inches of wet slush, and it was continuing to rain/snow, so by the time we returned to the car we were completely soaked though! We saw a few other hikers on the trail and at the end everyone left their mark by building a miniature snowman...we had a to be a little different, so we made a tribal mask smoking a pipe instead...yes...we're very creative. Haha!

Originally we had planned to go to Bryce Canyon the next day, but after looking at the weather and seeing that Bryce was suppose to be 28 degrees and snowing, we couldn't stand the thought of being soaked and cold for yet another day, so we decided to head back up to Salt Lake. Driving conditions were pretty treacherous...and after making it 60 miles in 2 hours we decided to stop and get a room in the thriving metropolis of Beaver. You know...when you come to spend the weekend with me, I don't spare any expense and only take you to the most luxurious destinations that Utah has to offer :)

The next morning we made it back to Salt Lake and were excited to see sunshine and blue skies. We decided to head to Park City and do some snowshoeing. It was really the perfect day for it!
It was really fun to have Kenyon here and to show off the beautiful state of Utah. I have had a wonderful winter and have really had a lot of fun getting out and enjoying the snow instead of my usual hybernation, wishing away the months until summer....but just so you know...secretly I can't wait until it's 90 degrees again!!

No comments:

Post a Comment