Monday, June 29, 2009

I Thought I Had Seen It All...


Last weekend I took a trip down to Moab. I have been to Moab several times, at least every year for the last 6 years. It is one of my favorite places to go because it is an easy get-away since it is only a few hours from home but is also exotic enough with the red rock and amazing arches. Because I have been there so many times, I thought I had seen it all. In fact, I was with two of my friends (both named Emily, oddly enough) who hadn't been and I thought I was going to act as experienced tour guide for them.


A couple of different times during the week leading up to my trip I had been told about a hike to an arch called "Negro Bills". I wondered how good it could be since I considered myself such a Moab expert and hadn't ever even heard about it. Well, we decided to try it out and I am so glad that we did. It was unlike any other hike I have been on in Moab. In a place that is definitely a red rock desert, it was actually quite lush! It is not in Arches National Park, which is probably one of the reasons I hadn't heard of it before. It has a beautiful little river that you follow up for about 4 miles until you come to the back of the canyon which ends with a beautiful black arch. I guess that is why they call it "Negro Bills"...even though we never figured out who Bill was we were sure glad he discovered this arch.

1 comment:

  1. This sounds fascinating. I am not much of a hiker, but if there are not steep inclines I can walk forever. Thanks for keeping me posted. I love hearing about all of your adventures.

    ReplyDelete